I did have a picture of my kinky, white Witch Hazel hairs but it just disappeared when I tried to edit this post. You all know what my hair looks like so I'm not going to load it again.
I always thought I would accept the outward signs of aging--wrinkles, gray hair--but I must confess it's becoming harder as the signs grow more evident. I tell you, at school and work I'm surrounded by girls in their twenties and I don't feel any different until I look in the mirror and am horrified by my aged reflection. Holy cow, I was talking to one of the new nurses and she said, "I'm so glad you're here. I was going to ask my mom this but I never had a chance so I'll ask you." Meaning, I was a mother type figure! Yikes!! Techinally, yes, I suppose I'm old enough to be her mother, but really!
I have never been a Martha Makeup type. I touch my face a lot (scrub it in frustration might be more accurate--I seem to suffer from Irritable Syndrome.) and so within a couple of hours all makeup is either hopelessly smudged or rubbed off completely.
I've always worn mascara because I have stubby eyelashes but other than that I reserved makeup for dressing up. (How do I write that so it's not a dangling participle?? Or is "up" not a participle in this case since it's kind of an adjective?)
Anyway, that all changed in April of last year. Twice, within a two week period of time I was asked about my grandchildren! Mind you, I've just turned 42. The first time I thought it was a joke until I realized I was the only one laughing; at which point I started gasping because I couldn't seem to breathe. Complete shock.
The very next day I became a Martha Makeup, I've worn it every day since. I decided that if I feel like I look better with it on--and I must since I wear it when I dress up--why would I not want to try and look better all the time? I guess this is probably meaningless to girls/women who've always worn makeup but it was a big decision for me at age 41.
The second time I was accused of being Grandma Age I was actually at Stake Conference and hence dressed and coiffed with more care than usual but alas to no avail. The girl sitting next to me who was presumably my daughter is like 26 yrs old, no I did not have her when I was 15!
Much to my dismay I had to conclude it's the darn gray hair making me look like a grandma.
If everyone would just agree to go gray, then it wouldn't be associated with advanced old age anymore. Don't you think?
Why don't I color my hair? I used to say because it's fake, kind of like makeup. That was when I only had a few gray hairs. Now I say it's because I can't stand it when my roots start to show 2 weeks after coloring it.
I kind of always liked and aspired to be the granola type of woman--not too caught up in fashion, happy to have hair and face in their natural states. I never exactly wanted the leathery-face or frizzy hair part of it but I guess that's just how it goes. Why do the blasted white hairs come in kinky when the dark ones are stick straight?
I fully intend to have my age spots lasered and my frown lines botoxed one day soon. In fact, if anyone has a fabulous contact, please pass on the information.

Sondra, Sondra, Sondra! You, who washes her face 50 times a day, who cringes at imbibing moss in the bottom of a filtered pitcher and dislikes the word moisture and its connotations of fungus is willing to pay good money (or ill gotten, sin laden filthy lucre) to have someone inject poison into your body! Poison! Botox a fancy name for a Poison. And you had the gall, the nerve to chastise me for wanting to wash my irritated gum with Vodka. (At least I wasn't going to swallow it.) Poison Sondra, Poison, knowingly and willing ingesting Poison.
ReplyDeleteWhere'd you get the socks?
ReplyDeleteWhat if you go with a lighter hair color so that it's not so, you know, black and white? If you have highlights or a softer brown color then maybe the roots wouldn't be so apparent. Or just do your roots yourself every couple of weeks. An $8 investment twice a month.
I think you should go to a salon and get professional advice.
You worry too much about too many things. I think you look great (kinky white hairs and all). And you don't look like a grandma.
ReplyDeletePresident Pulsipher came up to my son Ben at Shaun's farewell and asked him if my 50 year old sister was his wife. People just say dumb things without thinking. My sister was flattered but Ben was a little weirded out. It was pretty funny when Ben said it was his aunt.
Why would I not want to look my best all the time??? I'll tell you why...it's a lot of freaking WORK!!! Besides, there is something depressing about feeling like you don't have any natural beauty...like you're a completely different person when you take your make-up off...I feel this leading into personal examples which might be better saved for my own blog. Dye your hair already...I mean, I think you look great salt and pepper. But you can't change society, so don't complain about it or about other people's choice to dye their hair and we won't complain about yours. PS- my mom said you look really thing in the Zoro picture...it's true. I was looking back at pictures from the first time we did the Subway...you've lost weight! Thanks for inspiring my blog :)
ReplyDeleteIt's all about where you live. If you lived in Oregon or New Mexico or some other natural community then your gray hair and wrinkles would be more acceptable. You live in Utah, which is just as bad as Los Angeles or New York in the sense that women are expected to look a certain way (although the style is decidedly different in LA and NYC). It is expected that Utah women will wear makeup every day and do their hair in some unnatural style that takes a minimum of 30 minutes to do. You can either choose to look like women in your community or you can stand out. However, if you're sold on botox and chemical peels it seems ridiculous to be hung up on something like hair color.
ReplyDeleteNo, think how fabulous Amy looked with white hair. I loved it.
ReplyDeleteUtah is an outdoorsy state, we have REI. Grrr.
Ellen, I was about to say that botox is a bacteria but you're right it's the toxin and thus poison! Paralyze my forehead!!
Linda, do you laugh everytime you see Pres. Pulsipher now? I totally would.
BTW, Crystelle, that would be Kevin's dad she's referring to.
You are so funny. I love your blog. Just know that I am very "fake" with my colored hair because if I went natural I would have looked gray at 26, which is a big no thank you for me. But I think everyone should look and dress how they feel most comfortable not what anyone else thinks, although that is much harder sometimes to do than it would seem.
ReplyDeleteI think you are hilarious. Seriously, my mom tells me about your blog all the time so I decided to check it out myself from the great white north! Keep up the great work. :)
ReplyDeleteoh, I need your email so I can invite you to my blog if you want to be invited. :)
ReplyDeleteJust when I was thinking about letting my hair go gray...You'll see me next week and notice about an inch of white roots. I'm very torn about the whole issue too. I'd like to go gray, but if I do, I will be completely white on one side of my head, gray on the other side, with a black racing strip right in the middle of my forehead. Have you seen Jay Leno lately? He has a full head of white hair, with a little patch of dark right at the front of his hairline, right in the middle! Back to the picture though, who made you the socks?
ReplyDelete